Opening a Bar and Restaurant is walking into many liability landmines. The following activities create liability: food poisoning, alcohol abuse, slip and fall, assaults caused by fighting patrons, the danger of fire and employee injuries. This type of business exposes itself to significant liability because it serves the public that feels free and comfortable to express all their emotions while consuming food and drink.
There are standard types of Insurance that the business owner must consider such as:
Commercial Property Insurance
General Liability Coverage
Liquor Liability Coverage
Assault and Battery Coverage
Loss of Business Insurance
Food Contamination Insurance
Workers Compensation Insurance
Commercial Auto Liability Coverage
Dram Shop and Liquor Liability Law
The liability of a bar and restaurants can overwhelm a business owner with the death of a patron and innocent bystanders that were harmed by the patron that just left the bar and restaurant drunk. Dram Shop laws are designed to protect the bar owner and the public. Restaurants and bars are prevented by law from serving alcohol to minors and those intoxicated. If the Dram Shop law is ignored and a patron injures an innocent person the business can be held responsible for the injuries.
Best Practices To Reduce Liability
* Create an employer/employee manual clearing establishing the training and sanitation practices
* Ensure that practices comply with health and sanitation legal and administration requirements that have jurisdiction over the bar and restaurants
* Put in policies to control food safety, quality and preparation according to state and federal standards
* Liquor control policies
* Fire and safety inspections
* Record keeping of the date and time establishing when procedures are enforced
The agents of Fuhriman Insurance Agency in Boise, ID will guide you as your business develops. Please call!!