When you are driving throughout Boise, Idaho you need to stay alert on the roads. Tens of thousands of accidents occur around the United States every year because someone is drowsy. Approximately 37% of drivers have even fallen asleep while being behind the wheel, and this is extremely dangerous. Even if you nod off for a few seconds, a lot can happen during that short time frame.
Here are five ways to stay more alert:
- Get more sleep – The National Sleep Foundation recommends that everyone gets at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night.
- Take Breaks – When you are driving long distance, you should take a break from driving every two hours or 100 miles so that you have a chance to relax your eyes and a little bit.
- Drive with Someone – Have another licensed driver in the vehicle with you when taking long trips so that the two of you can share driving responsibilities back and forth until you reach your destination.
- Keep Occupied – You need to focus on the road and make sure that you are awake, so you may want to talk to someone else in the car, listen to music, or focus on various other things on the road to ensure that you are not going to nod off.
- Be Honest – At some point, you may reach a time when you are simply unable to stay alert on the roads. Pull off at a rest area and take a nap, ask a friend to drive you home, or call for a taxi. Whatever you do, don’t risk driving if you think you are going to fall asleep.
At Fuhriman Insurance, we look forward to helping you with auto insurance and the many ways to stay safe on the roads. Call today to receive quotes for an affordable auto insurance policy.